said, George Bernard Shaw, and I agree.
Ever wanted to put your hand up but hesitated in the face of negativity? Ever watched while a single doom-monger, with a well-timed outburst, puts off a whole crowd who are working on a good idea?
You may have just encountered a pessimist. Pessimists will often sound like this: He tried whatever you are suggesting once (just once, mind!) and it didn’t work. She did something similar to what you are suggesting and it didn’t work. They know someone who tried something ……..
What to do? Here’s a simple 3-point plan:
Gather strength in numbers
Separate yourself from these negative people. You will never change them. They may be people who have always had trouble seeing the positive or they have had a past experience that has put them off.
Dismiss their discouraging remarks for what they are – usually an isolated or historical example not relevant to the plans in progress.
Gather strength in numbers if there are more of you with positive ideas on what CAN be done, stick together. Support each other.
What ever happens, don’t let a lone negative voice disrupt the way of progress and good ideas. If all else fails, quote George Bernard Shaw at them!
And see for here for more inspiration
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind. Dr Seuss
If you lead a passionate, meaningful life, you will also create a spectacular ripple effect of inspiration in the lives around you @iownjd
Recently described as “someone who just gets on with things” here are some quotes that inspire me:
Relationships with volunteers and colleagues:
- The way to get things done is not to mind who gets the credit for doing them
- When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself. (Wayne Dyer)
- Respect is earned. Honest is appreciated. Trust is gained, Loyalty is returned (Gloria)
- Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca)
- Never let someone with the significance of a speed bump become a roadblock in your life.
- Don’t wait for a light to appear at the end of the tunnel, stride down there and light the bloody thing yourself (Sara Henderson)
- The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all. (Meg Cabot)
- Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing.” (Harriet Braiker)
- Better to do something imperfectly than to do nothing flawlessly (Dr. Robert Schuller)
and finally, the most important notes to self, a little reminder as we approach a new year……..
- To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
- What we do for ourselves dies with us, what we do for others and the world is and remains immortal. (Albert Pine)
“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” Helen Keller.
Thank you vInspired for 8 inspiring quotes for volunteers who make a difference.These words sum up so succinctly how I feel, that I was motivated to make a list of 10 of my favourite quotes. Here they are:
- “One person can make a difference, and everyone should try” John F Kennedy
- “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.” Mark Twain
- “When nothing in your life matters more than your own success you’ll likely have nothing in your life but your own success” Steve Keating
- “Things do not happen. Things are made to happen.” John F. Kennedy
- “A river cuts through rock, not because of its power, but because of its persistence.” Jim Watkins
- “We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.” Winston Churchill
- “Be the change you want to see in the world”. Mahatma Gandhi
- “Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together” Vincent Van Gogh
- “What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others” Pericles
- “Make things that you believe in happen” Me
Those who never make mistakes are doomed to always work for those who make lots of mistakes. – Keith Cunningham
Sometimes its good to look back and see how far you have come.
There is never a shortage of ideas, only people to do them.
Volunteers are a PTA’s most important asset and it should be a priority to nurture them.
“Things do not happen. Things are made to happen.” John F. Kennedy
…. it’s the grain of sand in your shoe.
Instead of wishing you were someone else, be proud of who you are. You never know who has been looking at you wishing they were you. Credit
As Oscar Wilde famously said:
“Be yourself, everyone else is taken”
“Most people are other people; their thoughts are someone else’s opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.”
But I think Dr Seuss does it best!
Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.